These muffin mixes can also be used without the lemon juice for a plain or vanilla sponge. We also love to swap the lemon for orange juice and zest for a yummy orange muffin for afternoon tea. For a surprise, we love to sneak a blob of diabetic friendly jam in the middle of the lemon-free mix before baking!
WHAT YOU NEED TO ADD
- 200ml of nut milk (almond or coconut)
- 4 large eggs (omega-3 free range)
- 2 tablespoons mild olive oil
- 9 paper muffin (or 18 cupcake) cases
- Preheat fan assisted oven to 140°C/285°F. Non fan assisted oven to 160°C/320°C or gas oven to Gas Mk 3.
- Beat together the above ingredients and then add this mix. Stir together until smooth and leave for two minutes to thicken a little.
- Place cases into muffin/cupcake tin. Fill the cases almost to top. Bake muffins for 40 minutes (cupcakes 25 minutes). Check for doneness, ovens vary, so they may need a little longer. Leave to cool.
LUXURY LEMON MUFFINS VARIATION
- For a richer, luxury lemon muffin, substitute the 200ml of nut milk and the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, with 150 ml of mild olive oil and the zest and juice of 2 lemons made up to 125ml with water.
STANDARD RECIPE - TYPICAL VALUES PER 100g
Energy kJ 1558, Energy kcal 372, Protein 12.6g, Carbohydrates 35.1g; of which Sugars 2.5g, Fat 18.8g; of which Saturated fat 3.0g; Monounsaturated fatty acids 11.7g; Polyunsaturated fatty acids 3.3g, Fibre 6.2g, Sodium 160mg, Omega-3 0.4g
LUXURY LEMON MUFFINS - TYPICAL VALUES PER 100g
Energy kJ 1552, Energy kcal 373, Protein 10.8g, Carbohydrates 23.1g; of which Sugars 2.5g, Fat 24.7g; of which Saturated fat 3.9g; Monounsaturated fatty acids 16.2g; Polyunsaturated fatty acids 3.5g, Fibre 7.8g, Sodium 315mg, Omega-3 0.4g
Almond meal, xylitol, chia seeds (5.5%), coconut flour, baking powder.
CONTAINS NUTS. Egg substitutes may be used instead of fresh eggs for those with egg allergies.
NOT SUITABLE FOR PETS
Store mix in a cool dry place away from sunlight and odours. Baked muffins can be cooled, sealed and stored in fridge for several days. To freeze place in sealed container for up to 3 months.